Home » Denver Activities » Top Five Kid Spots in Denver
Denver’s best family places
DENVER, Colorado – Families and kids can have a lot of fun in Denver year round–inside or in the great outdoors. Check out these five kid-friendly places:
1. The Children’s Museum of Denver is situated right along the South Platte River. The fun begins outside where there is a large playground and the Platte Valley Trolley makes regular stops for historic tours. Inside, the Children’s Museum of Denver has 11 indoor “playscapes” to choose from for ages newborn and up.
2. The Denver Zoo attracts crowds and kids in every season to see everything from monkeys to zebras, giraffes to elephants and hundreds of other animals. In addition to the furry creatures, there is a colorful merry-go-round with wooden animals to ride and a small train that takes riders past the pink flamingoes and other wildlife. On cold days visitors can duck inside the always warm aquarium building to see rare lizards, bats and of course, fish.
3. The Denver Museum of Nature and Science has programs to entertain kids and adults alike. Not only are there exhibits with dinosaurs (where volunteers can be seen cleaning the fossils), wildlife, Native American artifacts, mines, outer space and mummies, but there is also an IMAX theatre and Gates Planetarium. In nearby City Park there is a large playground.
4. The Colorado History Museum in downtown Denver has permanent exhibits showing off the state’s colorful past, starting with a pretty cool red rock country replica that begins the Native American history exhibit. There are also pieces of original homes, a covered wagon and mining train cars. Check the schedule for special kids workshops.
5. The Denver Botanic Gardens has devoted some acreage just to kids. Along a path decorated with enormous ladybugs and dragonflys, kids can stop to dig in the dirt, play music with gourds and on special days enjoy storytime amidst the sunflowers. There is a new café and green rooftop to check out too.