Home » Camp Jasper » Camping the Rockies: 10 Jasper Camping Tips
10 Tips for Camping in Jasper National Park
Jasper National Park camping is some of the best in the world. Here you’ll find some of the most beautiful views in the world, plenty of amazing wildlife, rivers, pristine glacial lakes, waterfalls, dramatic peaks and much more.
There are lots of great places to stay in Jasper, but if you’re here for the outdoors, you’ll be missing out if you don’t spend at least a night or two sleeping under the stars. Below you’ll find the info you need to get going.
- The busy season lasts from June through September, and peaks in July and August. Jasper National Park has a very limited number of serviced (hook up) sites, which are only available at Whistler’s and Wapiti campgrounds. During high tourist season, hook up sites can fill before 11 a.m. and campers often line up early in the morning. Keep in mind that you may not be able to book a hook up site for your first night during this busy period. Upon arrival, campground staff will advise you on how to go about getting a hook up site for the rest of your stay.
- Checkout time is 11 a.m.
- Parks Canada operates all ten campgrounds in Jasper National Park.
- Dates of operation vary. Summer camping begins in early May, with all campgrounds open by mid to late June. Summer campgrounds close in September and October.
- Campfires are permitted at most sites. A fire permit must be purchased at kiosks or self -registration booths.
- You can make reservations at the Pocahontas, Whistler’s, Wapiti and Wabasso campgrounds: (877) 737-3783. All other campsites are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Arrive early.
- Group camping is available for groups with a minimum of ten people and the group campsites can accommodate tents only. Call (780) 852-6181 for reservations.
- During peak season, 1,772 camp sites are available in Jasper National Park with a variety of services.
- Campers must purchase a camping permit at the campground kiosk or self register.
- The winter campground is at Wapiti.