Home » Alberta Adventure Guide » Canmore Summer Vacation Activities Guide
Canmore, Alberta is summer vacation activity central in the Canadian Rockies. It’s got one of the best locations you could hope for in this mecca for outdoor fun, sitting on the borders of Banff National Park and Kananaskis Country.
You can literally get some of the best views in the Canadian Rockies from town, i.e. The Three Sisters, three amazing peaks that dominate Canmore’s vista. There are also numerous great mountain biking and hiking trails that leaver right from town.
Below we’ve compiled 5 great suggestions for summer activities in Canmore and Kananaskis Country. You can get a sneak preview of the area by visiting the Canmore webcam.
1. White Water Rafting: You’ll find two great rivers to raft in the Canmore area. Raft the Kananaskis River for an easier family vacation adventure, or get an adrenaline blast riding down the Bow River’s Horseshoe Canyon.
2. River Float Trips: The Bow River, which runs right through Canmore, is a great place for an interpretive float trip. Interpretive trips take you down the calmest parts of the river giving you the opportunity to take a relaxing ride as you enjoy incredible scenery and watch for local wildlife. This is a great trip for children as young as three, which makes it a perfect activity for families.
3. Boat Cruise: Want even more fun on the water? Head over to Banff National Park’s Lake Minnewanka where you’ll find great Boat Tours that take daily cruises on the lake to one of Banff’s great landmarks, Devil’s Gap. On the boat tour you’ll learn about the history and ecology of this part of Banff, while cruising the remarkable scenery (and are an excellent chance to see wildlife).
4. Golfing: Canmore and Kananaskis Country are great places to get in some rounds of golf in some of the world’s most beautiful locations. Beyond the almost unbeatable mountain backdrop Canmore golf courses are top quality and internationally recognized as such.
5. Mountain Biking: Mountain biking is probably one of the most popular Canmore summer activities for vacationers and locals alike. There are a wide range of mountain bike trails to be enjoyed here, and riders of all abilities can enjoy the sport as many in town multi-use trails allow for family style touring around.
That’s it for now, although there are plenty of other summer activities available. Look for more articles to come!